Affordable Choice for Storing Wine at Home
NewAir wine coolers are made in China and are retailed in the USA by Amazon, Air & Water Inc., Wayfair, and other stores. The company is based in California and offers affordable cooling, heating and purification appliances for residential and commercial use. The company was founded in 2002. NewAir’s wine cooler line offer inexpensive, stylish wine storage appliances in various sizes.
The storage capacity ranges from 12 bottles to 52 bottles.
Most units use thermoelectric refrigeration technology (also known as superconductor cooling) offering the benefits of less noise and vibration compared to compressor cooling.
NewAir Wine Coolers come in various bottle storage capacities:
- 12-Bottle model (NewAir AW-120E and AW-121E )
- 18-bottle ( AW-180E, AW-181E, AW-182ED dual zone unit)
- 21 bottle (AW-210ED and AW-211ED),
- 32-bottle (AW-320ED, AW-321ED, AW322ED) models
Main Features of NewAir Wine Coolers
Design: black cabinet with black or stainless steel-trimmed dual pane glass door, curved metal handle, non-reversible door hinge.
- Thermal electric (aka superconductor) technology. Find out more about thermal elelctric (superconductor) refigeration.
- Compressor cooling – currently 4 models are available
Number of Zones:
- single temperature zone models: NewAir AW-120E, 181E, 180E, AW-280E and AW-281E
- dual temperature zone models: NewAir AW-182ED, AW-211ED, AW-210ED, AW-320ED, AW322ED, AWR-460DB
Installation (Built-In/Freestanding): the majority of units are for freestanding placement only, venting is at the back, the coolers operate the best if they are placed in a room where the ambient temperature is 50 ‐ 80°F (10 ‐ 26°C). All units have front leveling legs.
Built-in Models Are:
Two models, both are compressor-operated.
- NewAir 46-Bottle wine cooler, AWR-460DB, has two temperature zones, and
- NewAir 52-Bottle wine cooler, AWR-520SB – this is the most capacious model, has one zone
Temperature Range: 50 ‐ 66°F (10 – 19°C)
Temperature Control: digital thermostat with one-touch buttons to set the temperature by 1 °F increments.
Display: blue LED digital readout, the coolers can be set to display tempearture either in °F or in °C.
Interior Light: low-intensity LED lighting (light switch is on the control panel)
Shelving: pull-out chrome-plated wire racks
Price Range: cc. US$ 120 – 400.
Warranty: all NewAir wine cooler models carry 1 year warranty.
Are NewAir Wine Coolers of Good Quality? – Common Complaints by Users
New Air wine coolers seems to be cheaply made. All models look appealing with the digital display and one touch control buttons and see-through door glass but the bottom line is that these aren’t durable, long-lasting appliances that work without a hitch for many years.
According to owner reviews New Air Wine Cooler models have quite a few serious quality problems:
- temperature fluctuation is too high
- only cools down to 55 °F
- interior fan works all the time
- noise (caused by the moving fan)
- flimsy shelving – the shelves come out of the slot easily when pulling them out
- plastic interior lining is too thin
- unit dies within 1-2 years.
If you can’t afford to spend on a better quality wine refrigerator then you can try a NewAir model as a starter cellar (you might be lucky and get a unit that works without problems), but if you have time to save enough for a high-quality wine cooler/wine cabinet (EuroCave, Sub-Zero, Viking, Liebherr, Transtherm, Le Cache, Marvel) then do it rather than spend on low-quality units that die on you within a year or two.
See also the company’s website.